Recently I answered this question on quora: What are some lifestyle tips that both saves money or time and benefit the environment?
My answer: I’m in the process of developing a daily routine which is exactly in line with what you asked: environment friendly & saves money. Here are some things that I’m trying:
- Cycle to work, and to most other places. This has an added advantage of taking care of your health, so less medical bills later on in life. I suggest you invest in a good cycle which you’d wanna ride.
- Don’t buy a car. Most of the times, public transport or personal cabs fulfill the need. Read:
- Grow your own food. As much as possible. Some plants are really easy to grow, depending upon the climatic conditions you’re in. Also, its a nice, cheap, eco-friendly hobby. In fact, herbs and certain other plants can also be grown. I now use aloevera gel fresh from plants as hair conditioner and face cream. Works like magic and saves a lot of money!
- Compost your organic waste. Great way of reducing the waste that goes out to landfills, and super resource for your plants.
- De-clutter. Give away the stuff you don’t really use. It’ll help someone, reduce consumption. You can also make some cash if you chose to sell it rather than donating.
- Buy only the stuff which you need. Before buying always think if your use case is temporary, try to lend it instead of spending money. Also, carrying your own water helps reduce the ever increasing disposable water bottle waste. Can also carry your own utensils, and avoid using disposables. A spoon/fork is real easy to carry!
- Share stuff. Offer to share things with people so that others don’t have to buy avoidable things.
- Learn how to cook. Saves money, is definitely healthier, reduces food wastage etc.
- Be vegan. It’s the most environmental friendly lifestyle choice an individual can make.